2007-08 Legislative Session
The final 2007-2009 biennium budget compromise did not include several provisions impacting school choice that were in the original assembly budget.
The original Assembly budget included provisions to:
• Allow the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program (MPCP) to continue its steady growth by increasing the enrollment cap annually by 2,250 students. SCW calculates that without such a change, the MPCP will reach the new cap of 22,500 students in several years.
• Increase the number of high school options by allowing Milwaukee students who participate in the MPCP to attend private high schools anywhere in Milwaukee County.
• Allow schools to take the Wisconsin Knowledge and Concepts Exam to satisfy MPCP testing requirements. This repairs a technical issue relating to the longitudinal study.
• Create a Racine County Parental Choice Program that provides vouchers worth between $1,000 and $6,500 to Racine County families attending participating private schools in the county.
• Create a statewide Autism Scholarship Program that provides up to 200 tuition scholarships to autistic students attending private and public non-resident schools.